Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Interview with Kyle C. (a local firefighter)

Q: Why did you decide to become a firefighter? 
A: I have always lived in Fortuna and would see the fireman at the Fireman's games and around town. I though they were good for the community and I liked giving back to the community. I was  approached by a member of the department to come check things out one day and jumped at   the opportunity.
Q: What steps did you take to become one?
A: There were really no initial steps I took but once in the department there were lots of training, academies, and people to help me learn.Q: What is the most memorable memory you've had?
 A: I think my very first real structure fire will always stick in my mind the most. We got called out to a mutual aid in Carlotta and when we arrived there was a house that was fully involved. I was able to grab a hose and start putting out the fire. While we knew that there was no saving the house at that point it was still very neat to be able to have the ability to control something so powerful.Q: What advice could you give to someone who wants to become a firefighter or a related profession?A: These days there are lots of opportunities for younger people to get involved. There is the fire fighter explorer program, fire science classes, and academies right here in our back yard. I would tell them to go to one of these places and sit through a couple meetings or classes and try to see if it something for them.Q: What is the most dangerous thing you've done on the job?
A: I remember being on a roof working on cutting a ventilation hole when not more than 10 feet from the roof started to give away and fall into the house with burning fire underneath. I was able to retreat safely and advise a new plan to accomplish what we needed.
Q: What precautions do you do to prevent injuries?
A: Safety is our number one concern with everything we do. Whether it be training, classes, or real emergencies it all goes back to safe work practices. We always practice with safety built in and try to train like it is a real emergency so when the emergency happens our training will take over and keep us safe.Q: What special equipment do you use to find lost people?
A: We have a couple of different ways : One of which is what we call a TIC (Thermal Imagining Camera) and what it does is uses and infra red source to find different heat sources. We would be able to use that to see if a body or person was anywhere in the room or building. The second is the old fashion going in and finding someone. We would crawl into a house hugging the wall and using a sweeping motion to locate people. We use our hose as a guide and always keep it besides us as it will lead us out.Q: Do you enjoy working as a firefighter?
A: Being a volunteer firefighter is something I enjoy a lot. I like the whole fire aspect of it but I also like the community aspect of it also. I like know that our small community looks at us to be able to help them in  a time of need and be ready to run into a burning building while others are running out.
Q: How long do you plan on being a firefighter?
A: At my current state into the fire department I have 7 years in. I would like to at least achieve 20 or 25 years in the department, but i also know that time will only tell. Eventually our department will be paid and not have as many volunteers so I will just have to see how it goes.
Q: Did someone or something inspire you?
A: Like I said earlier I was inspired at a young age with the involvement and brotherhood that I saw with the fire department, and my mentor who brought me in also helped lead me in a positive direction.
Q: Are you happy you choose such a dangerous job?
A: Yes, I am. Most of the time I don't really think of it as a dangerous job. I know that I can rely on my training experience and knowledge to help me through problems. I do like the rush that goes along with it and like it when we are rushing to a call or running into a burning building.
Q: Did you know that you are a real hero whether you know it or not?
A: I never consider myself a hero. I just do something that I enjoy and take pride in knowing that we get to help people, but thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment