Monday, April 7, 2014

Freakonomics SSR

Firefighters have a dangerous job. 55% of them are volunteer and the other 45% are career. 50% of the firefighters that die, die from heart attack. 30% of them die from trauma and the other 20% die from other things such as medical breathing issues. The five states with the most deaths are Pennsylvania, 36; California, 33; New York, 33; North Carolina, 31; and Texas 26. Unfortunately these are all the statistics I could find about firefighters. Thanks for reading and have a nice day! I.S.

Friday, April 4, 2014

Freakenomics SSR

The amount of firefighters that die each year is a very significant number. There are about 25,000 firefighters each year. This number is a very significant but they also inherit roughly 30,000 firefighters a year. Also the #1 leading cause of death is either a heart attack or heat stroke. The average firefighter’s heart could not last forever because of the things they see and have to do. The heart is a vital organ in the body and as a firefighter gets older the heart has to pump harder and then eventually will fail or explode. The heart can only hold so much pressure. The #2 major cause of firefighters death is on traffic accidents where a firefighter is struck by a vehicle passing by